409 Constitution Ave., Hellertown, PA 18055
Phone: 610-838-8381 Fax: 610-838-8466
Hellertown Area Library
In order to provide all Library users with equal access to the Library's collections and services, and to achieve the optimum and safest use of the Library facilities, the Board of Trustees has adopted these rules governing the behavior of Library users.
Library users shall be engaged in activities associated with the use of a public library while in the building. The Library is intended to be used for reading, studying, securing information, conducting research, borrowing Library materials, or attending Library authorized programs, meetings, and activities. Library users are expected to follow all Library procedures to ensure the safety of themselves and others, as well as the efficiency of all Library services.
The following activities are prohibited on Library property:
- Interfering with another person's use of the Library or with Library personnel's performance of their duties.
- Entering non-public areas, such as equipment rooms, storage areas, and the office, without prior permission.
- Eating or drinking, or bringing food into the Library. We reserve the right to confiscate and dispose of any food or beverage brought into the Library.
- Smoking or other uses of tobacco.
- Bringing animals into the Library, except when needed to assist a person with a disability. We reserve the right to ask you and your pet animal to leave.
- Leaving a child under the age of nine unattended by a responsible adult in the Library.
- Neglecting to provide proper supervision of children while in the Library. Parents guardians, and care givers, not members of the staff, are responsible for the behavior and supervision of their children.
- Damaging, stealing, or defacing Library materials or property.
- Not wearing shoes, a shirt, or pants.
- Talking loudly or creating disturbing noises.We reserve the right to separate members of a group if they are too loud or disturbing.
- Using obscene or offensive language.
- Entering the Library with a bodily hygiene so offensive that it constitutes a nuisance to others.
- Any form of sexual misconduct, including exposure, offensive touching, or sexual harassment of patrons and staff.
- Reprogramming or altering Library computer software or data.
- Willfully annoying another person.
- Running, pushing, shoving, and throwing objects.
- Using cell phones in a manner that disturbs other patrons.Ringers must be turned off or put on vibrate.We reserve the right to ask you to get off of your cell phone or take the call outside.
Library users are encouraged to report disruptive or dangerous behavior to staff immediately so that the appropriate steps can be taken to resolve the problem. If the safety of Library users is in jeopardy, we will take immediate action by contacting the Hellertown Police. The Library staff is authorized to ask any Library user in violation of this policy to leave immediately. The Library staff can limit or suspend, for up to thirty days, the Library privileges of anyone whose behavior is dangerous, severely disruptive, or has become chronic in nature. With the approval of the Board of Trustees, a person may be denied privileges for a period longer than thirty days. Any person with an unresolved dispute may go to the Board of Trustees.